Your Ad Here

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Unit Analyis: Infestor

Hey everyone, so in line with my recent updates, I have decided to switch things up a bit from my usual posting. I'm going to start a new series of updates analyzing specific units and their abilities as well as effectiveness in all aspects of the game.

I've decided to start off with possibly my favorite unit, the infestor!


The infestor is an extremely useful unit and is basically key in any micro intensive zerg army. Its uses are numerous and can be used in a variety of ways, whether it actually be on the front lines of the battlefield or running into a base for harassment.

What you'll need: 

An infestation pit
    -Also enables research of Pathogen glands and the Neural parasite upgrade.

Pathogen glands give the infestor an extra 25 starting energy which could be just what the doctor ordered. Neural parasite allows the infestor to use the neural parasite ability which allows it to control an enemy unit for 15 seconds. (Note: does not work on ultralisks)

I will now focus on its abilities and explain the usefulness of each.

Infested Terran: These units are extremely useful for harassment or general base destruction. With 3 or 4 burrowed infestors it becomes trivial to sneak into a base and unleash these infested terran to wreak havoc on the enemy mineral line or production buildings. Also they can be used in a pinch to bolster your army if needed in that last part of the struggle in battle. They move very very slowly and will eventually die off by themselves, so it is always recommended to place them near the point of attack.

Neural Parasite: This allows you to control an enemy unit for 15 seconds, including all upgrades it has current access to. This can be extremely useful for mind controlling tanks or other heavy units with a lot of splash damage. It works on every unit except ultralisks and I recommend using it on heavy units (e.g. thors, tanks, battlecruisers, carriers, etc) or using it to mindcontrol a specific unit that is greatly helping the enemy such as a colossus. Something you should definitely not forget is to kill the unit before the cooldown runs out otherwise it will ravage your own army or kill your infestor. Note that this can also be used on workers, but is really not worth it unless you somehow manage to snag a probe. The effect runs out much too quickly for it to be used effectively on an scv. Also, you sitll have to tech up and you are tied down by your original food source so it's really just not worth it.


Fungal Growth: I would argue that this ability is by far the best ability the infestor has available. Fungal growth works over a small area of effect and completely immobilizes the enemy while damaging it over time. It's kind of like the old defiler moves wrapped into one (except the dark swarm cloud). It doesn't last too long, but long enough to do heavy damage. This used in conjunction with long range splash devastates smaller armies like MMM ball or infantry in general. It can be used on any unit and is very easy to actually kill lesser units with it, such as marines or zerglings. Use this against tightly packed, dangerous in group units such as massed marines/marauders or basically any zerg unit. It is especially effective against large groups of mutas since classic strategy makes people bunch up their mutas as tightly as possible. This fungal growth really makes or breaks some zerg armies. I highly recommend its usage against MMM ball and zerg armies in general. Against protoss it's a bit more difficult, but can work well nonetheless especially with zealots.


I think that about does it for the infestor. Hope this helped some of you think of new plans!

36 comments:

  1. Tried them again tonight after reading what you wrote and still don't like them...go zergs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vot eto da! Nu pryam pizdec kak interesno!
    Supporting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate this unuit so much when im playing against it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's also my favourite, a creepy one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very confusing but you explain it well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always find that my micro isn't quite good enough to use these effectively, but it is brilliant when I manage to pull it off. Watching an enemy's Thor or Collosus destroy it's own troops is hilarious. For added effect, take control of a Thor and shoot down any surrounding medivacs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cant see the picture, but the reading was quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice commentary there mate. Good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  9. the picture didnt work, but the unit sounds fun haha. zerg rushes = legit. even though real players will hate me for saying it =P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your post and I would really like to see more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yeah, i'm a zerg player and the infestor for sure is a really great unit, and it is my favorite too. also there was some really great idea of which i didn't think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate getting fungal growthed :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. woah pretty intricate strategy! i really need to buy the full version!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always played RTS games from the standpoint of I should get as many minerals as I can, then built a huge army, then attack and win. But I usually lose this way. I am glad you are bringing more information to the table so I can see specifically how I can benefit from the use of these different units :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i dont really use it that much

    ReplyDelete
  16. Neural parasite alone should be enough reason to play as Zerg. :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh cool! Since I know nothing of the game, learnign about some of the units in the game could be interesting. I won't get anything of strategy (cause i don't need one) but learn more about the game. :)

    These type of units remind me of a spy type unit, to infiltrate and wreak havoc from the inside almost, as well as "disguise" themselves as other units (or in this case, control, but has similar effect as a spy disguise). Seems pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i dont use the hallucinations a lot

    ReplyDelete